The school is situated in an historic part of East Clare. Kilmurry is within close proximity of Tulla, Ennis, Shannon and Limerick. The ancient castle of Ballymulcashel dates from 1466 and was inhabited until the 1990’s. Kilmurry is a rural area with one large estate of private houses that was built in the late 1990’s.
Kilmurry National School is a six teacher school serving the community of Kilmurry and the surrounding area. Children from the following areas which are part of the Sixmilebridge/Kilmurry Parish come to our school – Kilmurry, Rossroe, Ballymulcashel, Ballysheen, Ardane, Derra, Kilcornan, Shandangan and Drumullan. Some pupils attending the school live in Sixmilebridge, Oatfield and Quin. Currently there are 135 pupils on the roll.
At the time of writing, there is virtually full employment among the parent cohort of Kilmurry National School. Most parents commute to Shannon, Ennis and Limerick for work.
The school continues a long tradition of educational provision in the locality. In the mid 1840’s a hedge school operated from where the porch of the church is today. The current school grew from the National School which was established in 1891. New classrooms were added in 1999, 2006 and 2013.
Kilmurry National School is an integral part of the parish of Sixmilebridge/Kilmurry. There is an excellent working relationship between church and school. The children of Sixth Class receive the Sacrament of Confirmation with their peers from St Finnachta’s National School, Sixmilebridge. The schools have developed an excellent working relationship over time.
The school is a hive of activity throughout the year. The staff, pupils and community are particularly proud of the long sporting and musical heritage in the school. In recent years the school has won a number of camogie, hurling and basketball competitions as well awards for science and maths.